The GEIS Study on Timber Harvesting and Forest Management in Minnesota identifies and assesses the environmental, economic, and social impacts of potential increases in timber harvesting and forest management activities in Minnesota. The GEIS also develops mitigation strategies for these impacts and offers strategic policy recommendations. The study was commissioned by the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board. See a brief summary of the origins of the GEIS.
The IIC has a complete archive of publications and resources associated with the development of the GEIS. Links below navigate to PDF copies of these resources.
Jaakko Poyry Consulting, Inc. Final Generic Envrionmental Impact Statement Study on Timber Harvesting and Forest Management in Minnesota. 1994. St. Paul, MN: Minnesota Environmental Quality Board.
- Title Page, Executive Summary, and Table of Contents
- List of Acronyms, and References
- Chapter One: INTRODUCTION
- Chapter Two: GEIS STUDY COMPONENTS
- Chapter Three: MINNESOTA’S FOREST RESOURCES
- Chapter Four: NATURAL RESOURCES REGULATORY AND POLICY FRAMEWORK
- Chapter Five: STATEWIDE IMPLICATIONS: 4 MILLION CORD ANNUAL HARVEST
- Chapter Six: STATEWIDE IMPLICATIONS: 4.9 MILLION CORD ANNUAL HARVEST
- Chapter Seven: STATEWIDE IMPLICATIONS: 7 MILLION CORD ANNUAL HARVEST
- Chapter Eight: SUGGESTED STRATEGIC PROGRAMMATIC RESPONSES
- Chapter Nine: OBSERVATIONS BY THE CONSULTANT
- Appendix 1: Preferred Mitigation Strategies
- Global Atmospheric Change
- Harvesting Systems
- Public Forestry Organizations and Policies
- Recycled Fiber Opportunities
- Silvicultural Systems
- Economics and Management Issues
- Forest Wildlife
- Forest Health
- Forest Soils
- Maintaining Productivity and the Forest Resource Base
– Appendix 1-13
– Appendix 14 – Comments
- Recreation and Aesthetic Resources
- Unique Historical and Cultural Resources
- Water Quality and Fisheries
Minnesota Forests at a Crossroads: a series of 15 briefs that summarizes the Generic Environmental Impact Statement (GEIS).
Kilgore, M., et.al. 2005. Minnesota Timber Harvesting GEIS: An Assessment of the First 10 Years. Staff Paper Series No. 182. St. Paul, MN: Department of Forest Resources, College of Food, Agriculture, and Natural Resource Sciences, University of Minnesota.